General Information

General Information:

City of Birmingham 

311 Call Center:

  • Report overgrown lots and dead animals
  • Report a pothole or street light that needs to be repaired
  • Report abandoned vehicles
  • Find out about garbage collection
  • Find out how to apply for city licenses and permits
  • And much more.

Animal Control – 205-591-6522

Building permits –  205-254-2904

Garbage pickup:

Mondays and Thursdays for most of neighborhood (Tuesdays and Fridays – Niazuma Avenue area).
No pickup on holidays. Please do not put out your cans before or on holidays.


Recycling is picked up every Wednesday. Place bins (or paper bags) where your garbage cans are picked up. You may recycle #1 and #2 plastics, aluminum, tin, and all paper. NO glass.

You may take glass and other recyclable items to the Alabama Environmental Council Recycling Center.

Large Trash & Brush:

Two Thursdays a month, usually the 2nd and 4th Thursday, the city picks up large trash and brush/yard debris.  Please bag all leaves before placing them for pickup.
Call 311 for current schedule or check our calendar.
No pickup on holidays.

Birmingham Police Department – South Precinct

Voting information: 

  • Alabama Votes
  • Board of Registrars, 205-325-5550.
  • Highland Park is in Alabama Senate District 18 & House District 53 & 54. Most of the neighborhood is in House District 53, but a small section to the east (Cliff Road & 34th Street) is in House District 54.
  • City Council District 3
  • School Board District 3

Jefferson County Commission –

Jefferson County Sheriff’s Department –

Secretary of State –

State of Alabama –

The Birmingham News –